Over the years, the emergence of information and communications technology has greatly affected the lives of people in the world crossing borders among countries and bringing access closer to one another. In the same token, the birth of Microelectronics has resulted to progress in the development of smaller, lighter and more efficient electronic devices.
This development has a striking resemblance to the birth of one of the research and development institutes of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) – the Advanced Science and Technology Institute (ASTI). It was in 1987 when President Corazon C. Aquino renamed the then National Science and Technology Authority (NSTA) to Department of Science and Technology (DOST). As an offshoot of such sequential events, the ASTI was created as a research and development institute of the Department by virtue of Executive Order No. 128.
Since its establishment on 30 January 1987, ASTI has gained prominence because of its contributions in ICT, Microelectronics and R&D as the country bids for national development and global competitiveness. With the identification of ICT as a tool to help carve the country's niche in the global scene, ASTI as one of the government's focal agency for R&D in ICT and Microelectronics, has been mandated to undertake long-term researches to strengthen and modernize the Philippine's science and technology infrastructure; conduct R&D work in the advanced fields of studies; and complement the overall endeavor in the scientific field with intensive activities in the computer and information technologies.
ASTI continues to pursue and implement changes on its organizational operations to bring about a more efficient and service-oriented organization. A new organizational structure was implemented to provide more focus on its programs, and at the same time, accord significant contributions to the community. Efforts continue to streamline and review organizational performance, and provide a more customer-centered and proactive organization.
The Advanced Science and Technology Institute is mandated to perform the following functions:
- Scientific research and development in the advanced fields of Information and Communication Technology and Microelectronics.
- Undertake long-term researches to strengthen and modernize science and technology infrastructure;
- Conduct research and development work in the advanced fields of studies including biotechnology and microelectronics; and
- Complement the overall endeavor in the scientific field with intensive activities in the computer and information technologies.
The Department of Science and Technology – Advanced Science and Technology Institute (DOST-ASTI) shall be among the leading R&D centers in ICT and Electronics within the Southeast Asian region
We are committed to the development of the Filipino society and the Philippines as a nation. We shall contribute to the attainment of national development priorities and the growth of Philippine enterprises by providing innovative solutions using ICT and electronics technologies
- ASTI's strategic goals are as follows:
- To be a leading research institute in ICT and Electronics.
- To be known as a learning and highly innovative organization.
- To be cost-effective and on-time in the delivery of solutions to clients.
- To be financially sustainable.
ASTI Key Officials
- OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR
- FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATIVE DIVISION
- RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT DIVISION
- KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT DIVISION
- SOLUTIONS AND SERVICES ENGINEERING DIVISION
- COMPUTER SOFTWARE DIVISION
Ms. Joanna G. Syjuco
Chief Science Research Specialist
Tel. No. +63 2 4263694